Monday, October 19, 2009

Dear Margaret's Cake



My dear friend, Margaret turned twenty-six. I usually try to make the cake extra special by drawing out a sketch first of what I plan to make. There are lots of things I put into consideration while designing- what they'll wear the day of the party, their favorite colors or things and most importantly what comes to my mind when I think of them . Margaret is one of my closest friends in NYC and we have spent many many hours with eachother shopping, eating, drinking and just wandering around the city together. It may be due to her former wardrobe collection or her very femine name but when I think of Margaret I know she'll prefer a cake with flowers and pastel colors. This year I made a box like cake with hydrangas peaking from its lid. The lid is styrofoam covered with fondant and the bottom is real cake- light chocolate sponge soaked with Dissarono and cinnamon chocolate buttercream. I've got to say that the cake and the buttercream went great with eachother (if I get enough requests I'll post the recipe). A bow and a tag that read "Happy Birthday Margaret" cake was lit with trick sparkling candles that night. I am assuming everyone had a great time because at the end of the night with plenty of food, champange and wine, the cake was more than half eaten and somehow there were wine splatters on the cake- imagine wine glasses cheering over and over again. That how much people were celebrating!

2 comments: