Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pink and Bubbly Cake




So I lied... If you have been following my posts, I am caught online with my first blog lie. I said I wouldn't mention pink and gold combo for a very long time after the Martha Stewart Weddings 15th Anniversary party but I wanted to share how I design cakes and come up with inspirations. Not enough of a good excuse but here I go... It was back in September and a really close unni's (unni means sister in Korean but we Koreans refer to older girlfriends as sisters eventhough we are not related) birthday was fast approaching. I went to Kate's Paperie to get a birthday card for her. Instead I left the store with a picture of a birthday card that I took on my iPhone. It was my inspiration for her cake! As you can see below, I wanted a very celebratory feel to the cake with champange reminicing bubbles. The card was pink in various shades so obviously my cake had to be pink as well. To mimic the effervescent bubbles of champagne I rolled gum paste into balls varied in sizes. Each ball got a piece of florists wire so I could arrange them as a topper. To get the pin-strip pattern on the top tier I found a great plastic liner that I imprinted onto rolled fondant then gently applied white liquid food coloring onto the imprinted fondant. The reason why the cake was two tiered was because I could easily take the top tier off and serve the bottom tier to the guests at the party. Then the top tier could be taken home to be eaten later! For this cake I could not find candles that I liked. Thus I made some candle holders with gumpaste and pearl dusted them. These received sparkling candles that went perfectly with the cake. So you see... after shopping for a birthday card I ended up with an inspiration for my cake. Truthfully I get inspired by my daily routines such as walking around the city or by anything unique, pretty or just plain inspiring. I hope my methods of inspirations could inspire your next birthday cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment