Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Golf, Pizza and mushroom Cake



Sophia is a golfer, a pizza lover and highly allergic to mushrooms. These three traits are what makes Sophia so unique. It's a little inside joke my friends and I share. I personally don't like the taste of fondant so this time I mixed corn syrup with melted semi sweet chocolate which then turns into a softer version of fondant and plus I didn't have to add tons of brown food coloring to mimic the tree bark color. Then I used some green fondant and rolled out two circle rounds and trimmed the edges with scissors to make it look like layered grass. With flowers, mushrooms and a "S" for Sophia, I adorned the cake and stuck a wire with dried gum paste that looked like a flag pole- it was her 26th birthday. And a slice of pizza (gum paste) topped with various sizes of golf balls that read either "Sophia 26," "Happy 26" and other variations. To make the grass more realistic, I dusted it with darker shades of dusting colors and the shine on the "S" and the mushrooms was achieved by steaming then with a small iron. And although I don't have a picture of the inside of the cake think green! A pistachio sponge cake with white chocolate mousse... Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow wat a wonderful cake. Combination of Golf, pizza and mushroom on a cake looks awesome. I have never seen such a cake design. Where can I buy the same cake for my birthday? Iflorist.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm in nyc so if you're around here let me know and we'll figure something out!

    ReplyDelete